Matthew 11: 25-30
25 At that time Jesus said, “I thank you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because you have hidden these things from the wise and the intelligent and have revealed them to infants; 26yes, Father, for such was your gracious will. 27 All things have been handed over to me by my Father; and no one knows the Son except the Father, and no one knows the Father except the Son and anyone to whom the Son chooses to reveal him. 28 “Come to me, all you that are weary and are carrying heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me; for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.”
- Spend 5 to 15 minutes in silent meditation using your deep breathing to guide you.
- Notice where your body is carrying heavy burdens.
- Can you name these burdens?
- What do you need for rest?
- Offer your burden to God so that you may rest.
- In its place, accept the gentle yoke of God.
- Take note of any new lightness you feel.
- Give thanks to God for your time in prayer and anything new you have received.
- Share as you feel led in the reply box below.
Revised Common Lectionary Readings for Sunday, July 3 2011, Year A
Genesis 24:34-38, 42-49, 58-67
Psalm 45: 10-17
Song of Solomon 2:8-13
Matthew 11:16-19, 25-30
If you use these prayers in other groups, please give credit to author.
Permission to use in not-for-profit settings Lil Smith, M.Div., DASD.