21 Isaac prayed hard to God for his wife because she was barren. God answered his prayer and Rebekah became pregnant. 22 But the children tumbled and kicked inside her so much that she said, “If this is the way it’s going to be, why go on living?” She went to God to find out what was going on. 23 God told her, Two nations are in your womb, two peoples butting heads while still in your body. One people will overpower the other, and the older will serve the younger.
- Spend 5 to 15 minutes in silent meditation using your deep breathing to guide you.
- Remember a time when God answered a prayer that was different than you expected.
- What tension did you experience in the unexpected answer to your prayer?
- Where in your body did you experience the tension?
- What gave you freedom from the tension?
- Savor the freedom you notice.
- Give thanks to God for your time in prayer and anything new you have received.
- Share as you feel led in the reply box below.
Revised Common Lectionary Readings for Sunday, July 10 2011, Year A
Matthew 13:1-9, 18-23
If you use these prayers in other groups, please give credit to author.
Permission to use in not-for-profit settings Lil Smith, M.Div., DASD.