5Then Laban said to Jacob, “Because you are my kinsman, should you therefore serve me for nothing? Tell me, what shall your wages be?” 16Now Laban had two daughters; the name of the elder was Leah, and the name of the younger was Rachel. 17Leah’s eyes were lovely, and Rachel was graceful and beautiful. 18Jacob loved Rachel; so he said, “I will serve you seven years for your younger daughter Rachel.” 19Laban said, “It is better that I give her to you than that I should give her to any other man; stay with me.” 20So Jacob served seven years for Rachel, and they seemed to him but a few days because of the love he had for her.
21Then Jacob said to Laban, “Give me my wife that I may go in to her, for my time is completed.” 22So Laban gathered together all the people of the place, and made a feast. 23But in the evening he took his daughter Leah and brought her to Jacob; and he went in to her. 24(Laban gave his maid Zilpah to his daughter Leah to be her maid.) 25When morning came, it was Leah! And Jacob said to Laban, “What is this you have done to me? Did I not serve with you for Rachel? Why then have you deceived me?” 26Laban said, “This is not done in our country — giving the younger before the firstborn. 27Complete the week of this one, and we will give you the other also in return for serving me another seven years.” 28Jacob did so, and completed her week; then Laban gave him his daughter Rachel as a wife.
- Spend 5 to 15 minutes in silent meditation using your deep breathing to guide you.
- Notice who you identify with in the story?
- See yourself as this person in the story in your silent meditation.
- What lies and deceit do you notice? How is this reflected in your life? How is God at work in the lying and the deceit?
- What love and care do you notice? How is this reflected in your life? how is God at work in the loving and caring?
- What growth is God calling you to?
- Feel free to visit this story again this week and see if you identify with someone else in the story.
- Give thanks to God for your time in prayer and anything new you have received.
- Share as you feel led in the reply box below.