A sacrifice to be real must cost, must hurt, must empty ourselves. The fruit of silence is prayer, the fruit of prayer is faith, the fruit of faith is love, the fruit of love is service, the fruit of service is peace.
– Mother Teresa
- Light a candle to recognize Christ’s presence with you.
- Remember a time where you encountered sacrifice to be a faithful servant.
- Notice where you found the strength to carry through with the sacrifice.
- What was lost? What was gained?
- What hurt? What was healed?
- What did you empty or let go of? What did you gain?
- Write a prayer from this experience that will be a reminder of God’s peace in future experiences.
- Give thanks to God for this time in prayer and remembrance.
- Share as you feel led in the reply box below.
Revised Common Lectionary Readings for Sunday, August 14, 2011, the Twentieth Sunday in Ordinary Time Year A
Genesis 45: 1-15
Psalm 133: 1-3
Romans 11:1-2a, 29-32
Matthew 15: (10-20) 21-28
If you use these prayers in other groups, please give credit to author.
Permission to use in not-for-profit settings Lil Smith, M.Div., DASD.