- Light a candle to remember Christ’s presence with you.
- Spend 5 minutes in silent meditation paying attention to the breath and listening to Jesus say over and over, “Take up your cross and follow me.”
- Pray with this piece of art in the way of Lectio Divina.
- Spend the first 3 to 5 minutes listening to the piece of art. What image captures your attention? What meaning do you attach to this image for you?
- Spend another 3 to 5 minutes engaged with this piece of art. What do you see more deeply? What is God’s message for you in this message?
- Spend a third 3 to 5 minutes with “The Beautiful Mess.” What cross are you bearing today? Listen for a call to action from God.
- Give thanks to God for the expression of art, imagination, and any new messages you have received today.
- Share as you feel led in the reply box below.
Revised Common Lectionary Readings for Sunday, August 28, 2011, the Twenty-second Sunday in Ordinary Time Year A
Psalm 105: 1-6, 23-26, 45c
If you use these prayers in other groups, please give credit to author.
Permission to use in not-for-profit settings Lil Smith, M.Div., DASD.