- Light a candle to remember Christ’s presence with you.
- Spend five minutes in silence paying attention to the breath.
- Spend 3 to 5 minutes in meditation with this piece of art: FORGIVENESS.
- What draws your attention?
- Stay with this image that draws your attention?
- Is there a message for you in this image?
- The artist’s interpretation is forgiveness for self as well as forgiveness for others.
- As you know this now, are you drawn somewhere else in the image?
- Is there an invitation to forgiveness?
- Is there an invitation from God?
- How might God be present in the forgiveness?
- Invite God into this place.
- Ask for strength where you need strength. Ask for forgiveness where you need forgiveness. Do you pass judgment on yourself. Be gentle with yourself, and be embraced by the love of God.
- Be intentional about all the forgiveness that rises in your heart.
- Give thanks to God for this time in prayer with this piece of art to embrace forgiveness, and to recognize any new freedom you have experienced.
- Share as you feel led in the reply box below.
Revised Common Lectionary Readings for Sunday, September 11, the Twenty-fourth Sunday in Ordinary Time Year A
Exodus 15:1b-11, 20-21
If you use these prayers in other groups, please give credit to author.
Permission to use in not-for-profit settings Lil Smith, M.Div., DASD.