The spirit of [me] is the candle of the Lord.
- Light a candle to remember Christ’s presence with you.
- Spend 5 to 15 minutes in silent meditation, paying attention to the breath.
- If you wish, use this adapted proverb as a breath prayer.
- As you breathe in say, “The spirit of me.” As you breathe out say “is the candle of the Lord.”
- As you continue this breath prayer, notice in your body where you feel the flame of the candle.
- How does this light shine for others?
- What is God’s message for you in this light?
- Where part of your spirit needs to be lit?
- Is there a call to action to be another light for Christ?
- Give thanks to God for this time to reflect upon the light that shines forth from you in the name of Jesus Christ. Give thanks for any new insights you have gained.
- Share as you feel led in the reply box below.
Revised Common Lectionary Readings for Sunday, October 9, 2011, the Twenty-eighth Sunday in Ordinary Time Year A
Psalm 106:1-6, 19-23
If you use these prayers in other groups, please give credit to author.
Permission to use in not-for-profit settings Lil Smith, M.Div., DASD