And they brought him a denarius. 20Then he said to them, “Whose head is this, and whose title?” 21They answered, “The emperor’s.” Then he said to them, “Give therefore to the emperor the things that are the emperor’s, and to God the things that are God’s.” 22When they heard this, they were amazed; and they left him and went away.
- Light a candle to remember Christ’s presence with you.
- Spend 3 to 5 minutes in silent meditation, paying attention to the breath as you pray with this artistic creation.
- What word, phrase or image captures your attention in this artwork?
- Focus on this word, phrase or image.
- Spend another 3 to 5 minutes in silent meditation, as you carry this word, phrase or image with you. Is there a message in this word, phrase or image?
- What do you hear? What do you see? What do you feel?
- Where is God at work?
- Spend a final 3 to 5 minutes in silent meditation as you continue to look more deeply into this art.
- Listen for a call to action.
- Give thanks to God for this time in prayer and for any new insights you have received.
- Share as you feel led in the reply box below.
Revised Common Lectionary Readings for Sunday, October 16, 2011, the Twenty-ninth Sunday in Ordinary Time Year A
I Thessalonians: 1:1-10
If you use these prayers in other groups, please give credit to author.
Permission to use in not-for-profit settings The Rev. Lil Smith, M.Div., DASD