Matthew 23:12 12All who exalt themselves will be humbled, and all who humble themselves will be exalted.
- Light a candle to remember Christ’s presence with you.
- Sit in silent meditation 5 to 15 minutes paying attention to the breath.
- Focus on the photograph above. Spend 3 to 5 minutes opening yourself to this image.
- What word or phrase captures your attention in the image?
- With whom do you most identify in the image?
- What freedom do you feel in the image?
- What tension or bondage do you feel in the image?
- Spend another 3 to 5 minutes opening yourself to the image. This image was captured 48 hours after the massive earthquake in Turkey.
- What hope do you encounter here?
- Where do you encounter humility?
- Where do you encounter exaltation?
- Who are you in the image?
- Is there a message from God to you?
- Is there a call to action?
- Give thanks to God for this time in humble remembrance and thanksgiving. Give thanks to God for anything new that has been revealed to you.
- Share as you feel led in the reply box below.
Revised Common Lectionary Readings for Sunday, October 30, 2011, the Thirty-first Sunday in Ordinary Time Year A
Psalm 107: 1-7, 33-37
I Thessalonians: 2:9-13
If you use these prayers in other groups, please give credit to author.
Permission to use in not-for-profit settings The Rev. Lil Smith, M.Div., DASD