16Rejoice always, 17pray without ceasing, 18give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you. 19Do not quench the Spirit. 20Do not despise the words of prophets, 21but test everything; hold fast to what is good; 22abstain from every form of evil.
23May the God of peace himself sanctify you entirely; and may your spirit and soul and body be kept sound and blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. 24The one who calls you is faithful, and he will do this.
- Light a candle to remember Christ’s presence with you.
- Spend five to fifteen minutes in silent meditation paying attention to the deep breath.
- Breathe in the goodness of God in Christ Jesus.
- Breathe out anything that is keeping you from complete joy.
- Breathe in hope and peace.
- Breathe out doubt and fear.
- Continue this pattern until you feel the freedom of joy within you as much as you can.
- Rest in this place of joy.
- Be with God in this place of joy.
- Allow your body to remember this place of joy so you may come back to this place when you need to experience joy.
- What new peace does God have to offer you?
- Give thanks to God for this time in prayer and for any new insights you have received.
- Share as you feel led in the reply box below.
Revised Common Lectionary Readings for Sunday, December 11, 2011, the Second Sunday of Advent Year B
Isaiah 61:1-4, 8-11
1 Thessalonians 5:16-24
John 1:6-8, 19-28
If you use these prayers in other groups, please give credit to author.
Permission to use in not-for-profit settings The Rev. Lil Smith, M.Div., DASD