- Light a candle to remember Christ’s presence with you.
- Sit five to fifteen minutes in silent meditation paying attention to the deep breath.
- As you sit, allow this image to grow on and within you.
- Imagine walking down to the river. You see a crowd listening to one from the wilderness.
- You are compelled to sit and listen.
- What do you hear?
- What truth do you know?
- How do you know this?
- Some newcomers arrive, asking questions.
- Who is asking these questions?
- What tension do you notice?
- What truth is spoken?
- How do you know it is the truth?
- The one to whom you sit and listen proclaims he is not worthy.
- How are you not worthy to embrace the One who is coming?
- Allow God to embrace this place that is not worthy as you give yourself fully to God.
- The One who is coming will carry this burden.
- Give thanks to God for this time by the river and for any new insights you have received.
- Share as you feel led in the reply box below.
Revised Common Lectionary Readings for Sunday, December 11, 2011, the Second Sunday of Advent Year B
Isaiah 61:1-4, 8-11
1 Thessalonians 5:16-24
John 1:6-8, 19-28
If you use these prayers in other groups, please give credit to author.
Permission to use in not-for-profit settings The Rev. Lil Smith, M.Div., DASD