46b My soul magnifies the Lord,
47 and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior,
48 for he has looked with favor on the lowliness of his servant.
Surely, from now on all generations will call me blessed;
49 for the Mighty One has done great things for me,
and holy is his name.
50 His mercy is for those who fear him
from generation to generation.
51 He has shown strength with his arm;
he has scattered the proud in the thoughts of their hearts.
52 He has brought down the powerful from their thrones,
and lifted up the lowly;
53 he has filled the hungry with good things,
and sent the rich away empty.
54 He has helped his servant Israel,
in remembrance of his mercy,
55 according to the promise he made to our ancestors,
to Abraham and to his descendants forever.”
- Light a candle to remember Christ’s presence with you.
- Sit five to fifteen minutes in silent meditation paying attention to the deep breath.
- What song is being born in you?
- How does this song reflect God’s faithfulness.
- What promise will God fulfill?
- What surprises you?
- What hope is being turned into joy?
- What mercy have you experienced?
- Give thanks to God for this time to recognize the song arising in you and for any new insights you have received.
- Share as you feel led in the reply box below.
Revised Common Lectionary Readings for Sunday, December 18, 2011, the Third Sunday of Advent Year B
2 Samuel 7:1-11, 16
Psalm 89:1-4, 19-26
If you use these prayers in other groups, please give credit to author.
Permission to use in not-for-profit settings The Rev. Lil Smith, M.Div., DASD
2 thoughts on “Advent – Luke 1:47-55 Mary’s Magnificent Response”
Pingback: The Meaning of Advent | Growing Apologist
Consider playing/listening to U2’s song, “Magnificent” on their album NO LINE ON THE HORIZON as part of your reflection and meditation.