25Now to God who is able to strengthen you according to my gospel and the proclamation of Jesus Christ, according to the revelation of the mystery that was kept secret for long ages 26but is now disclosed, and through the prophetic writings is made known to all the Gentiles, according to the command of the eternal God, to bring about the obedience of faith — 27to the only wise God, through Jesus Christ, to whom be the glory forever! Amen.
- Light a candle to remember Christ’s presence with you.
- Sit five to fifteen minutes in silent meditation paying attention to the deep breath.
- God’s prophecy spoken through the messenger Gabriel is made known through Mary.
- Mary was obedient to God in the present moment, without knowing the promise of the future.
- What obedience of faith is rising in you this present moment?
- What prophetic writing brings you comfort?
- What is God’s message to you through this writing?
- Savor this time in listening for God’s message.
- Continue to quiet your mind and your body.
- What does God wish to disclose to you today?
- Give thanks to God for this time in prayer and for any new insights you have received.
- Share as you feel led in the reply box below.
Revised Common Lectionary Readings for Sunday, December 18, 2011, the Third Sunday of Advent Year B
2 Samuel 7:1-11, 16
Psalm 89:1-4, 19-26
If you use these prayers in other groups, please give credit to author.
Permission to use in not-for-profit settings The Rev. Lil Smith, M.Div., DASD