- Light a candle to remember Christ’s presence with you.
- Sit five to fifteen minutes in silent meditation paying attention to the deep breath.
- As you pray with this piece of art, what image captures your attention?
- Stay with this image, allowing it to deepen within you.
- Close your eyes for 3 to five minutes and allow this image to grow inside you.
- Open your eyes and enter this image again. Spend three to five minutes gazing upon the image.
- As you gaze upon this image, do you hear a message from God?
- Close your eyes for three to five minutes as you listen.
- Gaze upon the image for a third time. Spend three to five minutes in prayer as you contemplate God’s message to you.
- Do you hear a call-to-action from God?
- Sit and listen.
- Give thanks to God for this time in prayer and for any new insights you have received.
- Share as you feel led in the reply box below.
Revised Common Lectionary Readings for Sunday, December 18, 2011, the Third Sunday of Advent Year B
2 Samuel 7:1-11, 16
Psalm 89:1-4, 19-26
If you use these prayers in other groups, please give credit to author.
Permission to use in not-for-profit settings The Rev. Lil Smith, M.Div., DASD