21Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth; for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and the sea was no more.2And I saw the holy city, the new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband. 3And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, “See, the home of God is among mortals. He will dwell with them as their God; they will be his peoples, and God himself will be with them; 4he will wipe every tear from their eyes. Death will be no more; mourning and crying and pain will be no more, for the first things have passed away.” 5And the one who was seated on the throne said, “See, I am making all things new.” Also he said, “Write this, for these words are trustworthy and true.” 6Then he said to me, “It is done! I am the Alpha and the Omega, the beginning and the end. To the thirsty I will give water as a gift from the spring of the water of life.
- Light a candle to remember Christ’s presence with you.
- Sit five to fifteen minutes in silent meditation paying attention to the deep breath.
- What words capture attention as you contemplate the new heaven and new earth?
- What promise does God have for you?
- What is being made new?
- What is God’s promise for your neighbor?
- What is God’s promise for the world?
- See the possibility and the promise from God.
- What peace do you notice with in you.
- As you breathe, allow your breath to reach this place of peace.
- Breathe out the old, breathe in the new.
- Give thanks to God for this time in prayer and for any new insights you have received.
- Share as you feel led in the reply box below.
If you use these prayers in other groups, please give credit to author.
Permission to use in not-for-profit settings The Rev. Lil Smith, M.Div., DASD