1While Apollos was in Corinth, Paul passed through the interior regions and came to Ephesus, where he found some disciples. 2He said to them, “Did you receive the Holy Spirit when you became believers?” They replied, “No, we have not even heard that there is a Holy Spirit.” 3Then he said, “Into what then were you baptized?” They answered, “Into John’s baptism.” 4Paul said, “John baptized with the baptism of repentance, telling the people to believe in the one who was to come after him, that is, in Jesus.” 5On hearing this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus. 6When Paul had laid his hands on them, the Holy Spirit came upon them, and they spoke in tongues and prophesied — 7altogether there were about twelve of them.
- Light a candle to remember Christ’s presence with you.
- Sit five to fifteen minutes in silent meditation paying attention to the deep breath.
- Did you receive the Holy Spirit when you became a believer?
- What do you remember about that time?
- What do you remember feeling?
- Were there any other senses of taste or smell that you remember?
- Pay close attention to your breath.
- As you breathe in, say “I believe.”
- As you let go of the breath, say “in the Breath, Breathed, and Breathing” (God, Jesus, Holy Spirit or Father, Son, Holy Spirit, or Creator, Redeemer, Sustainer – choose what seems right for you today)
- Continue with this breath and these words allowing it yourself to be filled.
- When you have been filled, what feeling or words do you have to express to God?
- Give thanks to God for this time in prayer and for any new insights you have received.
- Share as you feel led in the reply box below?
Revised Common Lectionary Readings for Sunday, January 8, 2012, the Baptism of the Lord Year B
If you use these prayers in other groups, please give credit to author.
Permission to use in not-for-profit settings The Rev. Lil Smith, M.Div., DASD