4John the baptizer appeared in the wilderness, proclaiming a baptism of repentance for the forgiveness of sins. 5And people from the whole Judean countryside and all the people of Jerusalem were going out to him, and were baptized by him in the river Jordan, confessing their sins. 6Now John was clothed with camel’s hair, with a leather belt around his waist, and he ate locusts and wild honey. 7He proclaimed, “The one who is more powerful than I is coming after me; I am not worthy to stoop down and untie the thong of his sandals. 8I have baptized you with water; but he will baptize you with the Holy Spirit.”
9In those days Jesus came from Nazareth of Galilee and was baptized by John in the Jordan. 10And just as he was coming up out of the water, he saw the heavens torn apart and the Spirit descending like a dove on him.11And a voice came from heaven, “You are my Son, the Beloved; with you I am well pleased.”
- Light a candle to remember Christ’s presence with you.
- Sit five to fifteen minutes in silent meditation paying attention to the deep breath.
- What is hovering over you like a dove landing on its nest?
- What sound do you hear?
- What do you feel?
- What voice do you hear?
- How do you encounter God in this noise?
- How do you encounter God in your senses?
- How do you hear God?
- Hear these words from God: “With you I am well pleased.”
- Give thanks to God for this time in prayer and for any new insights you have received.
- Share as you feel led in the reply box below?
Revised Common Lectionary Readings for Sunday, January 8, 2012, the Baptism of the Lord Year B
If you use these prayers in other groups, please give credit to author.
Permission to use in not-for-profit settings The Rev. Lil Smith, M.Div., DASD