– Gregory of Nazianzus c.329-389/390
(A Christmas Sourcebook, Liturgy Training Publications)
- Light a candle to remember Christ’s presence with you.
- Sit five to fifteen minutes in silent meditation paying attention to the deep breath.
- As you sit, allow this artwork to become part of you.
- Where are you in the art?
- What element is surrounding you? (air or water)
- Allow this element to hold you, giving you a sense of lightness.
- Take on what you need from this element.
- Give to this element anything you need to be washed away.
- Savor the lightness.
- Hear the words from above, “With you, I am well pleased.”
- What is God’s message for you?
- Stay in the element as long as you like.
- Then give thanks to the element for holding you, and feel the element gently leave your surround.
- Give thanks to God for this time in prayer and for any new insights you have received.
- Share as you feel led in the reply box below?
Revised Common Lectionary Readings for Sunday, January 8, 2012, the Baptism of the Lord Year B
If you use these prayers in other groups, please give credit to author.
Permission to use in not-for-profit settings The Rev. Lil Smith, M.Div., DASD