1 O LORD, you have searched me and known me.
2 You know when I sit down and when I rise up;
you discern my thoughts from far away.
3 You search out my path and my lying down,
and are acquainted with all my ways.
4 Even before a word is on my tongue,
O LORD, you know it completely.
5 You hem me in, behind and before,
and lay your hand upon me.
6 Such knowledge is too wonderful for me;
it is so high that I cannot attain it.
13 For it was you who formed my inward parts;
you knit me together in my mother’s womb.
14 I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made.
Wonderful are your works;
that I know very well.
15 My frame was not hidden from you,
when I was being made in secret,
intricately woven in the depths of the earth.
16 Your eyes beheld my unformed substance.
In your book were written
all the days that were formed for me,
when none of them as yet existed.
17 How weighty to me are your thoughts, O God!
How vast is the sum of them!
18 I try to count them — they are more than the sand;
I come to the end — I am still with you.
- Light a candle to remember Christ’s presence with you.
- Sit five to fifteen minutes in silent meditation paying close attention to the deep breath.
- What word or phrase captures your attention?
- In your life how does this word or phrase reflect God’s creation of you?
- What is God’s message for you?
- Reflect upon this message as you consider the word of phrase that captures you.
- Read the Psalm one more time.
- Is there a call to action?
- Give thanks to God for this time in prayer and for any new insights you have gained.
- Share as you feel led in the reply box below.
Revised Common Lectionary Readings for Sunday, January 15, 2012, the Second Sunday in Ordinary Time Year B
1 Samuel 3:1-10 (11-20)
Psalm 139:1-6, 13-18
1 Corinthians 6:12=20
If you use these prayers in other groups, please give credit to author.
Permission to use in not-for-profit settings The Rev. Lil Smith, M.Div., DASD
One thought on “Psalm 139 – You knit me together”
What a humble reminder that the God of the entire universe is the very God who chose my mere existence and made me exactly the way I am and therefore knows me, and my every thought and action… and loves me anyway right where I am. He is both with us in every moment (beginning to end) but also goes before us to prepare and light our path… We just need to ask, trust and follow and we will blessed beyond what we can humanly imagine. Glory to God!