5 For God alone my soul waits in silence,
for my hope is from him.
6 He alone is my rock and my salvation,
my fortress; I shall not be shaken.
7 On God rests my deliverance and my honor;
my mighty rock, my refuge is in God.
8 Trust in him at all times, O people;
pour out your heart before him;
God is a refuge for us. Selah
9 Those of low estate are but a breath,
those of high estate are a delusion;
in the balances they go up;
they are together lighter than a breath.
10 Put no confidence in extortion,
and set no vain hopes on robbery;
if riches increase, do not set your heart on them.
11 Once God has spoken;
twice have I heard this:
that power belongs to God,
12 and steadfast love belongs to you, O Lord.
For you repay to all
according to their work.
- Light a candle to remember Christ’s presence with you.
- Sit five to fifteen minutes in silent meditation paying close attention to the deep breath.
- As you breathe, notice the hope in your breath.
- Allow this hope to be carried by your breath throughout your body filling your lungs
- Filling your arms down to your finger tips
- Filling your abdomen
- Down into your legs, your calves, to the tips of your toes.
- Filling your head, whispering hope into your hears
- Allow the breath to break the silence.
- What is God’s message for you?
- How does this message reflect God’s salvation?
- Whose voice needs to be silenced so you can continue to hear God’s voice?
- Is there a call to action?
- Give thanks to God for this time with the breath and for any new insights you have received.
- Share as you feel led in the reply box below.
If you use these prayers in other groups, please give credit to author.
Permission to use in not-for-profit settings The Rev. Lil Smith, M.Div., DASD