Engaging the Powers
- Light a candle to remember Christ’s presence with you.
- Sit five to fifteen minutes in silent meditation paying attention to the deep breath.
- Consider what is possessing you.
- How is this thing possessing you?
- How is this thing keeping you from Christ?
- As you pay attention to your breath, scan your body to locate that which is keeping you from Christ.
- Once you have located this, examine it for a crack.
- Once you have found the crack, allow the unconditional love of Christ into the crack.
- Let go of control.
- Allow Christ to widen the crack, allowing more love to flow into this place.
- Let Christ take control. Focus on Christ.
- You may wish to continue this exercise, allowing Christ to heal this place in you. One day Christ will cast out the demon if you will give up control.
- Give thanks to God for this time in prayer and for any new insights you have gained.
- Share as you feel led in the reply box below.
Revised Common Lectionary Readings for Sunday, January 29, 2012, the Fourth Sunday in Ordinary Time Year B
1 Corinthians 8:1-13
If you use these prayers in other groups, please give credit to author. Permission to use in not-for-profit settings The Rev. Lil Smith, M.Div., DASD