16If I proclaim the gospel, this gives me no ground for boasting, for an obligation is laid on me, and woe to me if I do not proclaim the gospel! 17For if I do this of my own will, I have a reward; but if not of my own will, I am entrusted with a commission. 18What then is my reward? Just this: that in my proclamation I may make the gospel free of charge, so as not to make full use of my rights in the gospel.
19For though I am free with respect to all, I have made myself a slave to all, so that I might win more of them. 20To the Jews I became as a Jew, in order to win Jews. To those under the law I became as one under the law (though I myself am not under the law) so that I might win those under the law. 21To those outside the law I became as one outside the law (though I am not free from God’s law but am under Christ’s law) so that I might win those outside the law. 22To the weak I became weak, so that I might win the weak. I have become all things to all people, that I might by all means save some. 23I do it all for the sake of the gospel, so that I may share in its blessings.
- Light a candle to remember Christ’s presence with you.
- Sit five to fifteen minutes in silent meditation paying attention to the deep breath.
- As you pay attention to you breath, notice what you have done for the sake of the gospel.
- What gifts did God use in you?
- How were you a vessel for God?
- What did you let go so that you could accept this call?
- What gift did God have for you?
- Savor this gift. Linger here to recognize the presence of God in this experience.
- How is God calling you today for the sake of the gospel?
- What gifts will God use in you?
- How will you be a vessel for God?
- What will you let go to answer this call?
- What gift will God have for you?
- Give thanks to God for this time in prayer and for any new insights you have received.
- Share as you feel led in the reply box below.
Revised Common Lectionary Readings for Sunday, February 5, 2012, the Fifth Sunday in Ordinary Time Year B
Psalm 147:1-11, 20c
1 Corinthians 9:16-23
If you use these prayers in other groups, please give credit to author. Permission to use in not-for-profit settings The Rev. Lil Smith, M.Div., DASD