40A leper came to him begging him, and kneeling he said to him, “If you choose, you can make me clean.”41Moved with pity, Jesus stretched out his hand and touched him, and said to him, “I do choose. Be made clean!”42Immediately the leprosy left him, and he was made clean. 43After sternly warning him he sent him away at once, 44saying to him, “See that you say nothing to anyone; but go, show yourself to the priest, and offer for your cleansing what Moses commanded, as a testimony to them.” 45But he went out and began to proclaim it freely, and to spread the word, so that Jesus could no longer go into a town openly, but stayed out in the country; and people came to him from every quarter.
- Light a candle to remember Christ’s presence with you.
- Sit five to fifteen minutes in silent meditation paying attention to the deep breath.
- What leprosy is infecting you today? Perhaps others can see it. Perhaps it is known only to you. Either way, the leprosy is keeping you on the outside.
- Go to Jesus.
- Kneel before him.
- Ask to be healed, “If you choose, you can make me clean.”
- Feel Jesus reach out and touch you.
- Feel the compassion of Jesus showering you with love that heals you.
- Give thanks to God for this time of healing and for any new insights you have received.
- Share as you feel led in the reply box below.
Revised Common Lectionary Readings for Sunday, February 12, 2012, the Sixth Sunday in Ordinary Time Year B
2 Kings 5:1-14
1 Corinthians 9:24-27
If you use these prayers in other groups, please give credit to author. Permission to use in not-for-profit settings The Rev. Lil Smith, M.Div., DASD