- Light a candle to remember Christ’s presence with you.
- Sit five to fifteen minutes in silent meditation paying attention to the deep breath.
- As you sit, begin to pray with this painting of the Transfiguration.
- Enter the path.
- Notice your surroundings.
- What captures your attention?
- Who is there with you?
- You encounter Jesus, your Teacher, who wishes to take you up the mountain.
- You pass others you know who are sleeping. Who are they?
- How are you feeling as you reach the pinnacle of the mountain?
- What senses are heightened?
- Jesus stops and turns to you to tell you something about himself.
- What does Jesus reveal to you?
- Sit with this message.
- Hear God’s words, “This is my son, the beloved. Listen to him!”
- What does Jesus want you to know fully?
- Listen. Breathe.
- Sit with the message.
- It is time to leave with Jesus and your friends. What do you hold as you go down the mountain?
- Give thanks to God for these things that have been revealed and this time in prayer.
- Share as you feel led in the reply box below.
Revised Common Lectionary Readings for Sunday, February 19, 2012, The Transfiguration of the Lord Year B
2 Kings 2:1-12
2 Corinthians 4:3-6
If you use these prayers in other groups, please give credit to author. Permission to use in not-for-profit settings The Rev. Lil Smith, M.Div., DASD