9In those days Jesus came from Nazareth of Galilee and was baptized by John in the Jordan. 10And just as he was coming up out of the water, he saw the heavens torn apart and the Spirit descending like a dove on him.11And a voice came from heaven, “You are my Son, the Beloved; with you I am well pleased.”
12And the Spirit immediately drove him out into the wilderness. 13He was in the wilderness for forty days, tempted by Satan; and he was with the wild beasts; and the angels waited on him.
14Now after John was arrested, Jesus came to Galilee, proclaiming the good news of God, 15and saying, “The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God has come near; repent, and believe in the good news.”
- Light a candle to remember Christ’s presence with you.
- Sit five to fifteen minutes in silent mediation paying attention to the deep breath.
- This week we contemplate our baptism. Remember once again the waters blessing you.
- As you remember the seal of baptism, notice the temptation(s) which surround you.
- What strength do you need to keep you from the temptation(s)?
- Believe that Christ’s love is strong enough to keep you from the temptations.
- Allow Christ to send angels into your life to wait on you.
- What do you need to let go to let the angels surround you?
- What is keeping you from letting go?
- Remember the water blessing you. Allow the water to was away the things keeping you from letting go.
- Be held by the water.
- Believe the good news.
- Give thanks to God for this time to remember baptism and for any new insights you have received.
- Share as you feel led in the reply box below.
Revised Common Lectionary Readings for Sunday, February 26, 2012, The First Sunday in Lent Year B
1 Peter 3:18-22
If you use these prayers in other groups, please give credit to author. Permission to use in not-for-profit settings The Rev. Lil Smith, M.Div., DASD