1You were dead through the trespasses and sins 2in which you once lived, following the course of this world, following the ruler of the power of the air, the spirit that is now at work among those who are disobedient. 3All of us once lived among them in the passions of our flesh, following the desires of flesh and senses, and we were by nature children of wrath, like everyone else. 4But God, who is rich in mercy, out of the great love with which he loved us 5even when we were dead through our trespasses, made us alive together with Christ — by grace you have been saved — 6and raised us up with him and seated us with him in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus, 7so that in the ages to come he might show the immeasurable riches of his grace in kindness toward us in Christ Jesus. 8For by grace you have been saved through faith, and this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God —9not the result of works, so that no one may boast. 10For we are what he has made us, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand to be our way of life.
- Light a candle to remember Christ’s presence with you.
- Sit five to fifteen minutes in silent mediation, paying attention to the deep breath.
- Breathe God’s grace. The gift of God’s grace.
- As you inhale God’s breath, exhale anything keeping you from God’s grace.
- God’s grace is fully yours.
- God’s invitation to wholeness is accepting God’s grace.
- Allow this gift to be the breath that gives you life today.
- Once you are filled with God’s grace, be covered by God’s grace.
- Be showered by God’s gift. Let is soak through you. Be wholly God’s.
- You are created in Christ Jesus.
- Give thanks to God for this gift of grace and for any new insights you have received.
- Share as you feel led in the reply box below.
Revised Common Lectionary Readings for Sunday, March 18, 2012, the Fourth Sunday in Lent Year B
Psalm 107:103, 17-22
If you use these prayers in other groups, please give credit to author. Permission to use in not-for-profit settings The Rev. Lil Smith, M.Div., DASD