Light a candle to remember Christ’s presence with you.
- Sit five to fifteen minutes in silent meditation paying close attention to the deep breath.
- As you pay attention to your breath, pay attention to any doubt arising in you that might keep you from Christ.
- Set this doubt aside so that you will be fully open to God.
- As you pay attention to your breath, become engaged with this painting depicting the disciples of Emmaus.
- Step into the setting.
- Where do you linger?
- What do you hear?
- Who is with you?
- What journey do you carry with you?
- How does Jesus reveal himself to you?
- What is burning in your heart?
- Who do you tell?
- How does Jesus appear to you again?
- What peace do you know in this appearance?
- What is God’s message for you?
- Give thanks to God for this time in prayer and for any new insights you have received.
- Share as you feel led in the reply box below.
Revised Common Lectionary Readings for Sunday, April 22, 2012, the Third Sunday of Easter Year B
1 John 3:1-7
If you use these prayers in other groups, please give credit to author. Permission to use in not-for-profit settings The Rev. Lil Smith, M.Div., DASD