25 From you comes my praise in the great congregation;
my vows I will pay before those who fear him.
26 The poor shall eat and be satisfied;
those who seek him shall praise the Lord.
May your hearts live forever!
27 All the ends of the earth shall remember
and turn to the Lord;
and all the families of the nations
shall worship before him.
28 For dominion belongs to the Lord,
and he rules over the nations.
29 To him, indeed, shall all who sleep in the earth bow down;
before him shall bow all who go down to the dust,
and I shall live for him.
30 Posterity will serve him;
future generations will be told about the Lord,
31 and proclaim his deliverance to a people yet unborn,
saying that he has done it.
- Light a candle to remember Christ’s presence with you.
- Sit five to fifteen minutes in silent meditation paying attention to the deep breath.
- Pay attention to the place where you sit today.
- Make any changes to the space that will help you turn toward the Lord.
- Perhaps you can turn a chair more toward a window allowing the warmth of the light to shine upon your face.
- Perhaps you need to remove the clutter in front of you so you will not be distracted by other things.
- Sit in a way that you can be free of distraction and turned toward the Lord.
- Now continue to breathe.
- With each breath, create more space within you for the Lord. Feel the goodness of God’s breath as you inhale and exhale any tension you notice.
- As you breathe, see how much space you can create within you.
- Let go of anything that is constricting you.
- As you inhale, open yourself to God. See yourself opening and turning toward God.
- All who are turned toward God give praise and glory to God.
- All who are turned toward God shall eat and be satisfied.
- All who seek the Lord shall praise God.
- Savor the peace you find as you stay turned toward God.
- Savor the light you find there.
- Let God fill the space created within you with God’s goodness, mercy and grace.
- As you go about your day, remember these things God has given to you.
- Share them as you encounter the world.
- Give thanks to God for this time in prayer and for any new insights you have received.
- Share as you feel led in the reply box below.
Revised Common Lectionary Readings for Sunday, May 6, 2012, the Fifth Sunday of Easter Year B
1 John 4:7-21
If you use these prayers in other groups, please give credit to author. Permission to use in not-for-profit settings The Rev. Lil Smith, M.Div., DASD.