9As the Father has loved me, so I have loved you; abide in my love.10If you keep my commandments, you will abide in my love, just as I have kept my Father’s commandments and abide in his love. 11I have said these things to you so that my joy may be in you, and that your joy may be complete.
12“This is my commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you. 13No one has greater love than this, to lay down one’s life for one’s friends. 14You are my friends if you do what I command you. 15I do not call you servants any longer, because the servant does not know what the master is doing; but I have called you friends, because I have made known to you everything that I have heard from my Father. 16You did not choose me but I chose you. And I appointed you to go and bear fruit, fruit that will last, so that the Father will give you whatever you ask him in my name. 17I am giving you these commands so that you may love one another.”
- Light a candle to remember Christ’s presence with you.
- Sit five to fifteen minutes in silent meditation paying attention to the deep breath.
- Invite Jesus to sit with you.
- You are not a servant, but a friend.
- Speak as friends.
- Tell Jesus your innermost desires.
- Tell Jesus your secrets.
- Reveal all that you are.
- Trust, obey, and abide in Jesus the Christ.
- Make all things known.
- Then sit back and listen.
- Listen to Jesus tell you his innermost desires for you.
- How do these desires match your desires?
- Listen to Jesus reveal the truth to you.
- How do you respond to this truth?
- Listen to the ways Jesus abides in you.
- What fruit is growing in you?
- Listen to the ways Jesus loves you.
- How may you love one another?
- What is God’s message for you?
- Is there a call to action?
- Give thanks to God for this time in prayer and for any new insights you have received.
- Share as you feel led in the reply box below.
Revised Common Lectionary Readings for Sunday, May 13, 2012, the Sixth Sunday of Easter Year B
1 John 5:1-6
If you use these prayers in other groups, please give credit to author. Permission to use in not-for-profit settings The Rev. Lil Smith, M.Div., DASD.