PSALM 104:24-34, 35B
24 O LORD, how manifold are your works!
In wisdom you have made them all;
the earth is full of your creatures.
25 Yonder is the sea, great and wide,
creeping things innumerable are there,
living things both small and great.
26 There go the ships,
and Leviathan that you formed to sport in it.
27 These all look to you
to give them their food in due season;
28 when you give to them, they gather it up;
when you open your hand, they are filled with good things.
29 When you hide your face, they are dismayed;
when you take away their breath, they die
and return to their dust.
30 When you send forth your spirit, they are created;
and you renew the face of the ground.
31 May the glory of the LORD endure forever;
may the LORD rejoice in his works —
32 who looks on the earth and it trembles,
who touches the mountains and they smoke.
33 I will sing to the LORD as long as I live;
I will sing praise to my God while I have being.
34 May my meditation be pleasing to him,
for I rejoice in the LORD.
35b Bless the LORD, O my soul.
Praise the LORD!
- Light a candle to remember Christ’s presence with you.
- Sit five to fifteen minutes in silent meditation paying close attention to the deep breath.
- As you pay attention to your breath, allow God to hold you as God holds the world.
- Feel the lightness as you allow God to shoulder all of the weight, all of the burden.
- Rest in the goodness of God’s hands.
- What praise arises in you?
- What metaphor comes to mind as you encounter God’s goodness?
- Allow this metaphor to grow into a full image.
- Where are you in the image?
- Look around you.
- Be filled with the goodness of God.
- Let go of any tension that is keeping you from freedom in God.
- Be free in the goodness of God.
- Remember this freedom and goodness as you go about your day. Call upon it as you encounter adversity. Share it as you encounter an opportunity to share the Good News.
- Give thanks to God for this time in prayer and for any new insights you have received.
- Share as you feel led in the reply box below.
Revised Common Lectionary Readings for Sunday, May 27, 2012, the Day of Pentecost Year B
John 15:26-27, 16:4b-15
If you use these prayers in other groups, please give credit to author. Permission to use in not-for-profit settings The Rev. Lil Smith, M.Div., DASD.