4:13But just as we have the same spirit of faith that is in accordance with scripture — “I believed, and so I spoke” — we also believe, and so we speak, 14because we know that the one who raised the Lord Jesus will raise us also with Jesus, and will bring us with you into his presence. 15Yes, everything is for your sake, so that grace, as it extends to more and more people, may increase thanksgiving, to the glory of God.
16So we do not lose heart. Even though our outer nature is wasting away, our inner nature is being renewed day by day. 17For this slight momentary affliction is preparing us for an eternal weight of glory beyond all measure, 18because we look not at what can be seen but at what cannot be seen; for what can be seen is temporary, but what cannot be seen is eternal.
5:1For we know that if the earthly tent we live in is destroyed, we have a building from God, a house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens.
- Light a candle to remember Christ’s presence with you.
- Sit five to fifteen minutes in silent meditation paying close attention to the deep breath.
- As you inhale, chant “Come Holy Spirit.”
- As you exhale, chant “Renew me.”
- Pay attention to the goodness of God’s breath as you breathe.
- Set aside anything keeping your attention from God.
- Allow the breath to permeate your body. Feel the breath renewing every part of you. From head to toe, from torso to fingertips.
- As you come to a place that is tired and needs to be renewed, remain here allowing God’s breath to renew from the inside out.
- Continue this exercise as the breath moves through you.
- Now that your body has been renewed, consider what in your mind needs to be renewed.
- What earthly tent has been destroyed?
- What eternal renewal does God have to offer you?
- Give thanks to God for the chance to see beyond that which is temporary, to see eternal things, for this time in prayer and for any new insights you have received.
- Share as you feel led in the reply box below.
Revised Common Lectionary Readings for Sunday, June 10, 2012, the Tenth Sunday in Ordinary Time, Year B
I Samuel 8:4-11 (12-15) 16-20 (11:14-15)
2 Corinthians 4:13-5:1
If you use these prayers in other groups, please give credit to author. Permission to use in not-for-profit settings The Rev. Lil Smith, M.Div., DASD.