1 The LORD answer you in the day of trouble!
The name of the God of Jacob protect you!
2 May he send you help from the sanctuary,
and give you support from Zion.
3 May he remember all your offerings,
and regard with favor your burnt sacrifices. Selah
4 May he grant your heart’s desire
and fulfill all your plans.
5 May we shout for joy over your victory,
and in the name of our God set up our banners.
May the LORD fulfill all your petitions.
6 Now I know that the LORD will help his anointed;
he will answer him from his holy heaven
with mighty victories by his right hand.
7 Some take pride in chariots, and some in horses,
but our pride is in the name of the LORD our God.
8 They will collapse and fall,
but we shall rise and stand upright.
9 Give victory to the king, O LORD;
answer us when we call.
- Light a candle to remember Christ’s presence with you.
- Sit five to fifteen minutes in silent meditation paying close attention to the deep breath.
- Consider the prayer that you need answered today.
- Find where this prayer is located in your body.
- Imagine yourself gently taking this prayer outside of your body and holding it cupped in your hands before you.
- Allow the Holy Spirit to hold you as you gently lift the prayer in front of you.
- Notice everything you can about the prayer: the shape, the color, the texture, etc.
- Is there anything about the prayer that surprises you?
- Is there anything about the prayer that is missing?
- What does God have to share with you about your prayer?
- What answer is forming?
- As you close your prayer time today, find a place in your body that wants to accept the prayer and hold it gently.
- Whether or not you have heard the answer or part of the answer, visit the prayer periodically over the day and notice any change or growth.
- Give thanks to God for this time in prayer and for any new insights you have received.
- Share as you feel led in the reply box below.
Revised Common Lectionary Readings for Sunday, June 17, 2012, the Eleventh Sunday in Ordinary Time, Year B
I Samuel 15:34-16:13
2 Corinthians 5:6-10 (11-13) 14-17
If you use these prayers in other groups, please give credit to author. Permission to use in not-for-profit settings The Rev. Lil Smith, M.Div., DASD.