26He also said, “The kingdom of God is as if someone would scatter seed on the ground, 27and would sleep and rise night and day, and the seed would sprout and grow, he does not know how. 28The earth produces of itself, first the stalk, then the head, then the full grain in the head. 29But when the grain is ripe, at once he goes in with his sickle, because the harvest has come.”
30He also said, “With what can we compare the kingdom of God, or what parable will we use for it? 31It is like a mustard seed, which, when sown upon the ground, is the smallest of all the seeds on earth; 32yet when it is sown it grows up and becomes the greatest of all shrubs, and puts forth large branches, so that the birds of the air can make nests in its shade.”
33With many such parables he spoke the word to them, as they were able to hear it; 34he did not speak to them except in parables, but he explained everything in private to his disciples.
- Light a candle to remember Christ’s presence with you.
- Sit five to fifteen minutes in silent meditation paying close attention to the deep breath.
- What is growing in you right now?
- Identify the stage of growth and consider the elements needed to sustain this growth.
- Has the growth been slow like a tree or quick like the mustard seed?
- Are you growing alone? with a community? both?
- How deep are your roots?
- Have you tried to harvest too quickly?
- Allow yourself to be at peace with this place of growth.
- Allow God to guide you revealing to you the next step. Perhaps that will be today. Maybe next week. Seek God’s perfect timing.
- Listen for that which Christ will explain to you in private?
- Give thanks to God for this time in prayer and for any new insights you have received.
- share as you feel led in the reply box below.
Revised Common Lectionary Readings for Sunday, June 17, 2012, the Eleventh Sunday in Ordinary Time, Year B
I Samuel 15:34-16:13
2 Corinthians 5:6-10 (11-13) 14-17
If you use these prayers in other groups, please give credit to author. Permission to use in not-for-profit settings The Rev. Lil Smith, M.Div., DASD.