1The heavens are telling the glory of God;
and the firmament proclaims his handiwork.
2Day to day pours forth speech,
and night to night declares knowledge.
3There is no speech, nor are there words;
their voice is not heard;
4yet their voice goes out through all the earth,
and their words to the end of the world.
In the heavens he has set a tent for the sun,
5which comes out like a bridegroom from his wedding canopy,
and like a strong man runs its course with joy.
6Its rising is from the end of the heavens,
and its circuit to the end of them;
and nothing is hidden from its heat.
7The law of the LORD is perfect,
reviving the soul;
the decrees of the LORD are sure,
making wise the simple;
8the precepts of the LORD are right,
rejoicing the heart;
the commandment of the LORD is clear,
enlightening the eyes;
9the fear of the LORD is pure,
enduring for ever;
the ordinances of the LORD are true
and righteous altogether.
10More to be desired are they than gold,
even much fine gold;
sweeter also than honey,
and drippings of the honeycomb.
11Moreover by them is your servant warned;
in keeping them there is great reward.
12But who can detect their errors?
Clear me from hidden faults.
13Keep back your servant also from the insolent;
do not let them have dominion over me.
Then I shall be blameless,
and innocent of great transgression.
14Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart
be acceptable to you,
O LORD, my rock and my redeemer.
- Light a candle to remember Christ’s presence with you.
- Sit five to fifteen minutes in silent meditation paying close attention to the deep breath.
- As you become aware of your breath, allow the breath to open you, free you.
- Consider the voice of Wisdom that is not heard yet goes throughout the earth.
- Consider how is flows in us, among us, between us, above us and below us.
- What voice of Wisdom is not heard yet goes throughout the earth?
- How does Wisdom sustain you?
- How does Wisdom encourage you?
- How does Wisdom fill you?
- What do you desire from Wisdom today?
- Does your desire and Wisdom’s desire for you meet?
- What is Wisdom’s message for you?
- Give thanks to God for this time in prayer and for any new insights you have received.
- Share as you feel led in the reply box below.
Revised Common Lectionary Readings for Sunday, September 16, 2012, the Twenty-Fourth Sunday in Ordinary Time, Year B
If you use these prayers in other groups, please give credit to author. Permission to use in not-for-profit settings The Rev. Lil Smith, M.Div., DASD