1Vindicate me, O LORD,
for I have walked in my integrity,
and I have trusted in the LORD without wavering.
2Prove me, O LORD, and try me;
test my heart and mind.
3For your steadfast love is before my eyes,
and I walk in faithfulness to you.
4I do not sit with the worthless,
nor do I consort with hypocrites;
5I hate the company of evildoers,
and will not sit with the wicked.
6I wash my hands in innocence,
and go around your altar, O LORD,
7singing aloud a song of thanksgiving,
and telling all your wondrous deeds.
8O LORD, I love the house in which you dwell,
and the place where your glory abides.
9Do not sweep me away with sinners,
nor my life with the bloodthirsty,
10those in whose hands are evil devices,
and whose right hands are full of bribes.
11But as for me, I walk in my integrity;
redeem me, and be gracious to me.
12My foot stands on level ground;
in the great congregation I will bless the LORD.
- Light a candle to remember Christ’s presence with you.
- Sit five to fifteen minutes in silent meditation paying close attention to the deep breath.
- Continue to focus on the breath until you are as free and open as you can be.
- In which house do you see yourself sitting in the presence of the LORD?
- In which room of that house do you live?
- Who lives there with you?
- Give thanks to God for this dwelling place.
- How do you carry this dwelling place with you when you must walk outside the walls?
- How do you find level ground when you encounter a steep, rocky grade?
- When you encounter a stranger on the road, how will you respond?
- Will you have bread to share?
- What is God’s message for you?
- Give thanks to God for this time in prayer and for any new insights you have received.
- Share as you feel led in the reply box below.
Revised Common Lectionary Readings for Sunday, October 7, 2012, the Twenty-Seventh Sunday in Ordinary Time, Year B
Job 1:1, 2:1-10
Hebrews 1:1-4, 2:5-12
If you use these prayers in other groups, please give credit to author. Permission to use in not-for-profit settings The Rev. Lil Smith, M.Div., DASD