9How can we thank God enough for you in return for all the joy that we feel before our God because of you? 10Night and day we pray most earnestly that we may see you face to face and restore whatever is lacking in your faith.
11Now may our God and Father himself and our Lord Jesus direct our way to you. 12And may the Lord make you increase and abound in love for one another and for all, just as we abound in love for you. 13And may he so strengthen your hearts in holiness that you may be blameless before our God and Father at the coming of our Lord Jesus with all his saints.
- Light a candle to remember Christ’s presence with you.
- Sit five to fifteen minutes in silent meditation paying close attention to the deep breath.
- As the breath opens your chest and your heart, consider those mentors who have loved you and supported you.
- Consider those who would cross the miles to sit by your side, to pray for you, to accept that phone call in the middle of the night.
- They are giving thanks for you always.
- What strengthening of holiness in your heart do you need today?
- Be held by these mentors and by God, knowing that your heart is safe and will be filled with love and caring. For this is the promise of Advent as we await the coming of The Holy One once again.
- Be held and loved. Be humble and powerless.
- Be open to the love of God showering you.
- What is God’s message for you?
- Give thanks to God for this time in prayer and for any new insights you have received.
- Share as you feel led in the reply box below.
Revised Common Lectionary Readings for Sunday, December 2, 2012, the First Sunday of Advent (Year C)
1 Thessalonians 3:9-13
If you use these prayers in other groups, please give credit to author. Permission to use in not-for-profit settings The Rev. Lil Smith, M.Div., DASD