18Samuel was ministering before the LORD, a boy wearing a linen ephod. 19His mother used to make for him a little robe and take it to him each year, when she went up with her husband to offer the yearly sacrifice. 20Then Eli would bless Elkanah and his wife, and say, “May the LORD repay you with children by this woman for the gift that she made to the LORD”; and then they would return to their home.
26Now the boy Samuel continued to grow both in stature and in favor with the LORD and with the people.
- Light a candle to remember Christ’s presence with you.
- Sit five to fifteen minutes in silent meditation paying close attention to the deep breath.
- Breathe in the joy of Christmas. Let go of any darkness that is trying to come back in.
- Breathe in the peace of Christmas. Let go of any tension that has hold of you.
- Breathe in the love of Christmas. Let go of anything keeping you from Christ.
- Allow the Christmas joy to pour over you once again.
- Sit in the Christmas joy.
- Notice birth and new life again today.
- Watch the birth and new life grow.
- Watch the light grow as the news spreads around the earth.
- How do you feel favor with God?
- Is there anything keeping you from feeling favor with God?
- Allow the Christmas love to nurture this place that needs to feel favor with God.
- What do you need from God?
- What is God’s message for you?
- Give thanks to God for this time in prayer and for any new insights you have received.
- Share as you feel led in the reply box below.
Revised Common Lectionary Readings for Sunday, December 30, 2012, the First Sunday after Christmas (Year C)
1 Samuel 2:18-20, 26
If you use these prayers in other groups, please give credit to author. Permission to use in not-for-profit settings The Rev. Lil Smith, M.Div., DASD