12As God’s chosen ones, holy and beloved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, meekness, and patience. 13Bear with one another and, if anyone has a complaint against another, forgive each other; just as the Lord has forgiven you, so you also must forgive. 14Above all, clothe yourselves with love, which binds everything together in perfect harmony. 15And let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, to which indeed you were called in the one body. And be thankful. 16Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly; teach and admonish one another in all wisdom; and with gratitude in your hearts sing psalms, hymns, and spiritual songs to God. 17And whatever you do, in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.
- Light a candle to remember Christ’s presence with you.
- Sit five to fifteen minutes in silent meditation paying close attention to the deep breath.
- As you inhale, breathe in compassion. Let compassion reach every inch of you.
- As you exhale let go of hatred.
- As you inhale, breathe in kindness. Let kindness shine forth from you.
- As you exhale, let go of jealousy.
- As you inhale, breathe in humility. Be part of the world around you.
- As you exhale, let go of arrogance.
- As you inhale, breathe in meekness. Be open to the needs of others.
- As you exhale, let go of the need to control.
- As you inhale, breathe in patience. Be open to God.
- As you exhale, let go of the passing of time.
- Allow yourself to be completely in this moment with God.
- What do you need to bear with the world?
- What does the world need to bear with you?
- Where do you feel freedom and openness?
- What help do you need from God?
- What is God’s message for you?
- Give thanks to God for this time in prayer and for any new insights you have received.
- Share as you feel led in the reply box below.
Revised Common Lectionary Readings for Sunday, December 30, 2012, the First Sunday after Christmas (Year C)
1 Samuel 2:18-20, 26
If you use these prayers in other groups, please give credit to author. Permission to use in not-for-profit settings The Rev. Lil Smith, M.Div., DASD