Read Isaiah 63:7-9
7 I will recount the gracious deeds of the LORD,
the praiseworthy acts of the LORD,
because of all that the LORD has done for us,
and the great favor to the house of Israel
that he has shown them according to his mercy,
according to the abundance of his steadfast love.
8 For he said, “Surely they are my people,
children who will not deal falsely”;
and he became their savior
9 in all their distress.
It was no messenger or angel
but his presence that saved them;
in his love and in his pity he redeemed them;
he lifted them up and carried them all the days of old.
- Light a candle to remember Christ’s presence with you.
- Sit five to fifteen minutes in silent meditation paying close attention to the deep breath.
- Imagine God as a loving parent wanting to save you. God as both mother and father loving you abundantly.
- Notice the concern and caring God has for you.
- As you allow the breath to open you further, consider how God wants to lift you up.
- How does God want to carry you?
- Are there places where you are enslaved or bound that need to be set free?
- Inhale the breath of God that will set you free.
- Exhale the doubt and fear that binds you.
- Repeat the inhale and exhale allowing God to free you.
- What is God’s message for you?
- Give thanks to God for this time in prayer and for any new insights you have received.
- Share as you feel led in the reply box below.
Revised Common Lectionary Readings for Sunday, January 1, 2017, the First Sunday after Christmas (Year A)
If you use these prayers in other groups, please give credit to author. Permission to use in not-for-profit settings (c) 2017 The Rev. Lil Smith, M.Div., DASD