1 Corinthians 3:1-9
3And so, brothers and sisters, I could not speak to you as spiritual people, but rather as people of the flesh, as infants in Christ. 2I fed you with milk, not solid food, for you were not ready for solid food. Even now you are still not ready, 3for you are still of the flesh. For as long as there is jealousy and quarreling among you, are you not of the flesh, and behaving according to human inclinations? 4For when one says, “I belong to Paul,” and another, “I belong to Apollos,” are you not merely human?
5What then is Apollos? What is Paul? Servants through whom you came to believe, as the Lord assigned to each. 6I planted, Apollos watered, but God gave the growth. 7So neither the one who plants nor the one who waters is anything, but only God who gives the growth. 8The one who plants and the one who waters have a common purpose, and each will receive wages according to the labor of each. 9For we are God’s servants, working together; you are God’s field, God’s building.
- Light a candle to remember Christ’s presence with you.
- Breathe deeply as you remember a time working together with God’s servants, building up the kingdom of God.
- What did you plant? What did you water?
- How did God grow this community together.
- Return to the breath.
- Breathe deeply as you remember a time of division working with God’s servants, tearing down the kingdom of God.
- How did you ignore the seeds to be planted and withhold the water needed for the plant to survive?
- As you hold both of these experiences before you, notice God in each of them.
- How were you transformed in each experience?
- What new transformation does God have for you today?
- What is God’s message for you?
- Give thanks to God for this time in prayer and for any new insights you have received.
- Share as you feel led in the reply box below.
Revised Common Lectionary Readings for Sunday, February 12, 2017, the Sixth Sunday in Ordinary Time (Year A)
1 Corinthians 3:1-9
If you use these prayers in other groups, please give credit to author. Permission to use in not-for-profit settings (c) 2017 The Rev. Lil Smith, M.Div., DASD