1 Have mercy on me, O God,
according to your steadfast love;
according to your abundant mercy
blot out my transgressions.
2 Wash me thoroughly from my iniquity,
and cleanse me from my sin.
3 For I know my transgressions,
and my sin is ever before me.
4 Against you, you alone, have I sinned,
and done what is evil in your sight,
so that you are justified in your sentence
and blameless when you pass judgment.
5 Indeed, I was born guilty,
a sinner when my mother conceived me.
6 You desire truth in the inward being;
therefore teach me wisdom in my secret heart.
7 Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean;
wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow.
8 Let me hear joy and gladness;
let the bones that you have crushed rejoice.
9 Hide your face from my sins,
and blot out all my iniquities.
10 Create in me a clean heart, O God,
and put a new and right spirit within me.
11 Do not cast me away from your presence,
and do not take your holy spirit from me.
12 Restore to me the joy of your salvation,
and sustain in me a willing spirit.
13 Then I will teach transgressors your ways,
and sinners will return to you.
14 Deliver me from bloodshed, O God,
O God of my salvation,
and my tongue will sing aloud of your deliverance.
15 O Lord, open my lips,
and my mouth will declare your praise.
16 For you have no delight in sacrifice;
if I were to give a burnt offering, you would not be pleased.
17 The sacrifice acceptable to God is a broken spirit;
a broken and contrite heart, O God, you will not despise.
- Light a candle to remember Christ’s presence with you.
- Sit five to fifteen minutes, bringing your attention to the Breath.
- Invite God to teach you wisdom in your sacred heart.
- What false teachings need to be cleaned and removed to make room for the wisdom God has for you?
- Embrace this wisdom.
- Wear the sign of the cross to show this wisdom.
- If you are not able to attend a service today to receive the imposition of ashes, make the sign of the cross on your own forehead.
- You wear the sign of the broken spirit.
- You wear the sign of the broken spirit being made new.
- You wear the sign of the broken spirit being made new and ushering hope into the world.
- What is God’s message for you?
- Give thanks to God for this time in prayer and for any new insights you have received.
- Share as you feel led in the reply box below.
Revised Common Lectionary Readings for Wednesday, March 1, 2017, Ash Wednesday (Year A)
Joel 2:1-2, 12-17
2 Corinthians 5:20b-6:20
Matthew 6:1-6, 16-21
If you use these prayers in other groups, please give credit to author. Permission to use in not-for-profit settings (c) 2017 The Rev. Lil Smith, M.Div., DASD