55But filled with the Holy Spirit, he gazed into heaven and saw the glory of God and Jesus standing at the right hand of God. 56“Look,” he said, “I see the heavens opened and the Son of Man standing at the right hand of God!” 57But they covered their ears, and with a loud shout all rushed together against him. 58Then they dragged him out of the city and began to stone him; and the witnesses laid their coats at the feet of a young man named Saul. 59While they were stoning Stephen, he prayed, “Lord Jesus, receive my spirit.” 60Then he knelt down and cried out in a loud voice, “Lord, do not hold this sin against them.” When he had said this, he died.
- Light a candle to remember Christ’s presence with you.
- Sit five to fifteen minutes in silence bringing your attention to the Breath.
- Remember a time that you were dragged out of the city and stoned.
- Who was hurling the threats, the words, the looks, the stares?
- How do they need to know the love and mercy of Christ?
- Say these words, “Lord Jesus, do not hold this sin against them.”
- How do you wish to pray for them today?
- Remember a time that you dragged someone out of the city and stoned him/her.
- What threats, words, looks, stares did you hurl?
- How did the love and mercy of Christ reach you and change you?
- Hear these words, “Lord Jesus, do not hold this sin against me.”
- How do you wish to pray for new healing today?
- What is your message from God?
- Give thanks to God for this time in prayer and for any new insights you have received.
- Share as you feel led in the reply box below.
Revised Common Lectionary Readings for Sunday, May 14, 2017, the Fifth Sunday of Easter (Year A)
Psalm 31:1-5, 15-16
1 Peter 2:2-10
If you use these prayers in other groups, please give credit to author. Permission to use in not-for-profit settings (c) 2017 The Rev. Lil Smith, M.Div., DASD