1 How long, O LORD? Will you forget me forever?
How long will you hide your face from me?
2 How long must I bear pain in my soul,
and have sorrow in my heart all day long?
How long shall my enemy be exalted over me?
3 Consider and answer me, O LORD my God!
Give light to my eyes, or I will sleep the sleep of death,
4 and my enemy will say, “I have prevailed”;
my foes will rejoice because I am shaken.
5 But I trusted in your steadfast love;
my heart shall rejoice in your salvation.
6 I will sing to the LORD,
because he has dealt bountifully with me.
- Light a candle to remember Christ’s presence with you.
- Sit five to fifteen minutes in silence bringing your attention to the Breath.
- Bring your attention to a place within you that feels distant from God.
- Feel the yearning you have for God here.
- Use your imagination to pay attention to the details of this place within you: the feeling, the color, the texture, the smell, the taste, etc. Describe this place in detail. See this place within you.
- Invite God to give light to your eyes.
- Allow the divine light of God to bring healing to this place.
- Turn away from anything trying to distract you from the light.
- See the light bringing you healing.
- What song arises from this place?
- What is your message from God?
- Give thanks to God for this time in prayer and for any new insights you have received.
- Share as you feel led in the reply box below.
Revised Common Lectionary Readings for Sunday, July 2, 2017, the Thirteenth Sunday in Ordinary Time (Year A)
If you use these prayers in other groups, please give credit to author. Permission to use in not-for-profit settings (c) 2017 The Rev. Lil Smith, M.Div., DASD