1 If it had not been the LORD who was on our side
— let Israel now say —
2 if it had not been the LORD who was on our side,
when our enemies attacked us,
3 then they would have swallowed us up alive,
when their anger was kindled against us;
4 then the flood would have swept us away,
the torrent would have gone over us;
5 then over us would have gone
the raging waters.
6 Blessed be the LORD,
who has not given us
as prey to their teeth.
7 We have escaped like a bird
from the snare of the fowlers;
the snare is broken,
and we have escaped.
8 Our help is in the name of the LORD,
who made heaven and earth.
- Light a candle to remember Christ’s presence with you.
- Sit five to fifteen minutes in silence bringing your attention to the Breath.
- Notice the freedom you receive from the Breath.
- Let your attention go to a place where with God on your side you escaped from a broken snare.
- What do you notice about being in the snare? Describe the details.
- God will bring new life in the midst of imprisonment.
- As God walks by your side today, notice the provision God has for you.
- What freedom does God’s provision create in you?
- What is your message from God?
- Give thanks to God for this time in prayer and for any new insights you have received.
- Share as you feel led in the reply box below.
Revised Common Lectionary Readings for Sunday, August 27, 2017, the Twenty-First Sunday in Ordinary Time (Year A)
If you use these prayers in other groups, please give credit to author. Permission to use in not-for-profit settings (c) 2017 The Rev. Lil Smith, M.Div., DASD