1The Israelites again did what was evil in the sight of the LORD, after Ehud died. 2So the LORD sold them into the hand of King Jabin of Canaan, who reigned in Hazor; the commander of his army was Sisera, who lived in Harosheth-ha-goiim. 3Then the Israelites cried out to the LORD for help; for he had nine hundred chariots of iron, and had oppressed the Israelites cruelly twenty years.
4At that time Deborah, a prophetess, wife of Lappidoth, was judging Israel. 5She used to sit under the palm of Deborah between Ramah and Bethel in the hill country of Ephraim; and the Israelites came up to her for judgment. 6She sent and summoned Barak son of Abinoam from Kedesh in Naphtali, and said to him, “The LORD, the God of Israel, commands you, ‘Go, take position at Mount Tabor, bringing ten thousand from the tribe of Naphtali and the tribe of Zebulun. 7I will draw out Sisera, the general of Jabin’s army, to meet you by the Wadi Kishon with his chariots and his troops; and I will give him into your hand.’”
- Light a candle to remember Christ’s presence with you.
- Sit five to fifteen minutes in silent meditation, paying attention to the breath.
- What judgment has hold of you?
- From whom is this judgment coming?
- How is this judgment a reflection of God’s people?
- What forgiveness do you need to give?
- What forgiveness do you need to receive?
- As God’s people, what forgiveness to we need to give?
- As God’s people, what forgiveness do we need to receive?
- Is there a message for you from God?
- Is there a call to action?
- Give thanks to God for this time in prayer to consider the judgment that takes hold of us, the forgiveness we give and receive, and any new insights you have received.
- Share as you feel led in the reply box below.
Revised Common Lectionary Readings for Sunday, November 19, 2017, the Thirty-Third Sunday in Ordinary Time (Year A)
1 Thessalonians 5:1-11
If you use these prayers in other groups, please give credit to author. Permission to use in not-for-profit settings (c) 2017 The Rev. Lil Smith, M.Div., DASD