2Six days later, Jesus took with him Peter and James and John, and led them up a high mountain apart, by themselves. And he was transfigured before them, 3and his clothes became dazzling white, such as no one on earth could bleach them. 4And there appeared to them Elijah with Moses, who were talking with Jesus. 5Then Peter said to Jesus, “Rabbi, it is good for us to be here; let us make three dwellings, one for you, one for Moses, and one for Elijah.” 6He did not know what to say, for they were terrified. 7Then a cloud overshadowed them, and from the cloud there came a voice, “This is my Son, the Beloved; listen to him!” 8Suddenly when they looked around, they saw no one with them any more, but only Jesus.
9As they were coming down the mountain, he ordered them to tell no one about what they had seen, until after the Son of Man had risen from the dead.
- Light a candle to remember Christ’s presence with you.
- Sit five to fifteen minutes in silent meditation paying attention to the deep breath.
- Recall a time when Jesus led you.
- Allow yourself to go back to this time, to walk those steps again, to hear God’s words.
- When did you notice Christ’s presence?
- What details do you remember about the journey?
- Linger in the time of revelation.
- Do you feel light or heavy?
- What senses do you notice?
- Trace the path from your senses to your heart and to your mind as you may draw on these feelings again.
- What new things have been revealed since this time?
- Give thanks to God for these things that have been revealed and this time in prayer.
- Share as you feel led in the reply box below.
Revised Common Lectionary Readings for Sunday, February 11, 2018, The Transfiguration of the Lord Year B
2 Kings 2:1-12
2 Corinthians 4:3-6
If you use these prayers in other groups, please give credit to author.
Permission to use in not-for-profit settings
(c) 2018 The Rev. Lil Smith, M.Div., DASD