31Then he began to teach them that the Son of Man must undergo great suffering, and be rejected by the elders, the chief priests, and the scribes, and be killed, and after three days rise again. 32He said all this quite openly. And Peter took him aside and began to rebuke him. 33But turning and looking at his disciples, he rebuked Peter and said, “Get behind me, Satan! For you are setting your mind not on divine things but on human things.”
34He called the crowd with his disciples, and said to them, “If any want to become my followers, let them deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me. 35For those who want to save their life will lose it, and those who lose their life for my sake, and for the sake of the gospel, will save it. 36For what will it profit them to gain the whole world and forfeit their life? 37Indeed, what can they give in return for their life? 38Those who are ashamed of me and of my words in this adulterous and sinful generation, of them the Son of Man will also be ashamed when he comes in the glory of his Father with the holy angels.”
- Light a candle to remember Christ’s presence with you.
- Sit five to fifteen minutes in silent meditation paying attention to the deep breath.
- Scan your mind to let go of human things.
- If you need to write them down, keep a pad of paper next to you. Write it down and let it go as you make yourself more available to the Holy.
- Continue this exercise until you feel freedom and light. Remain in freedom and light as you pay attention to the deep breath.
- What cross do you need to take up today to follow Christ?
- What will you deny in you to take up this cross?
- What is God’s message for you in this cross?
- Is there a call to action?
- Take up the cross. Carry it today. Follow Christ. Share the Gospel.
- Give thanks to God for the good news of the Gospel and for any new insights you have received.
- Share as you feel led in the reply box below.
Revised Common Lectionary Readings for Sunday, March 4, 2012, the Second Sunday in Lent Year B
Genesis 17:1-7, 15-16
If you use these prayers in other groups, please give credit to author. Permission to use in not-for-profit settings The Rev. Lil Smith, M.Div., DASD