1 O sing to the LORD a new song,
for he has done marvelous things.
His right hand and his holy arm
have gained him victory.
2 The LORD has made known his victory;
he has revealed his vindication in the sight of the nations.
3 He has remembered his steadfast love and faithfulness
to the house of Israel.
All the ends of the earth have seen
the victory of our God.
4 Make a joyful noise to the LORD, all the earth;
break forth into joyous song and sing praises.
5 Sing praises to the LORD with the lyre,
with the lyre and the sound of melody.
6 With trumpets and the sound of the horn
make a joyful noise before the King, the LORD.
7 Let the sea roar, and all that fills it;
the world and those who live in it.
8 Let the floods clap their hands;
let the hills sing together for joy
9 at the presence of the LORD, for he is coming
to judge the earth.
He will judge the world with righteousness,
and the peoples with equity.
- Light a candle to remember Christ’s presence with you.
- Sit five to fifteen minutes in silent meditation paying attention to the deep breath.
- As you pay attention to the breath, inhale the goodness of God.
- Exhale that which is not good.
- Inhale God’s love.
- Exhale hatred.
- Inhale joy.
- Exhale fear.
- Let go of anything keeping you from God.
- Open yourself as much as possible to God.
- Continue to pay attention to your breath.
- Allow a new song to arise from within you.
- How do you glorify God?
- What do you hear?
- What words come to you?
- What love arises?
- Look around you. What else do you see praising God?
- How do others praise God?
- How does the world praise God?
- How does the earth praise God?
- Savor this time of praise and glory.
- Carry it with you today.
- As you encounter others, notice how others praise God.
- Give thanks to God for this time to sing a new song, for this time in prayer and for any new insights you have received.
- Share as you feel led in the reply box below.
Revised Common Lectionary Readings for Sunday, May 6, 2012, the Sixth Sunday of Easter Year B
1 John 5:1-6
If you use these prayers in other groups, please give credit to author. Permission to use in not-for-profit settings (c) 2018 The Rev. Lil Smith, M.Div., DASD.