15In those days Peter stood up among the believers (together the crowd numbered about one hundred twenty persons) and said, 16“Friends, the scripture had to be fulfilled, which the Holy Spirit through David foretold concerning Judas, who became a guide for those who arrested Jesus — 17for he was numbered among us and was allotted his share in this ministry.”
21So one of the men who have accompanied us during all the time that the Lord Jesus went in and out among us, 22beginning from the baptism of John until the day when he was taken up from us — one of these must become a witness with us to his resurrection.” 23So they proposed two, Joseph called Barsabbas, who was also known as Justus, and Matthias. 24Then they prayed and said, “Lord, you know everyone’s heart. Show us which one of these two you have chosen 25to take the place in this ministry and apostleship from which Judas turned aside to go to his own place.” 26And they cast lots for them, and the lot fell on Matthias; and he was added to the eleven apostles.
- Light a candle to remember Christ’s presence with you.
- Sit five to fifteen minutes in silent meditation paying attention to the deep breath.
- As you sit in silence, open your heart to Christ.
- Allow Christ to tell you that which Christ knows about your heart. For the Lord knows everyone’s heart.
- Christ knows every place in your heart: joy, love, pain, anger, gentleness, peace,
- What part of your heart do you want to change today?
- Invite Christ into this place. Let go of anything that is keeping your from Christ: pain, anger, hatred, greed, envy, mistrust, ____________.
- Hear the words of forgiveness, “In Christ you are forgiven. Thanks be to God!”
- Feel the lightness that Christ has to offer you.
- Christ knows your heart. All belongs. Every experience belongs.
- Hold this new experience of healing and love today as you encounter others.
- See how you might be a witness to God’s love.
- You have been chosen by God.
- Give thanks to God for this time in prayer and for any new insights you have received.
- Share as you feel led in the reply box below.
Revised Common Lectionary Readings for Sunday, May 13, 2018, the Seventh Sunday of Easter Year B
Acts 1:15-17, 21-26
1 John 5:9-13
If you use these prayers in other groups, please give credit to author. Permission to use in not-for-profit settings (c) 2018 The Rev. Lil Smith, M.Div., DASD.