14For this reason I bow my knees before the Father, 15from whom every family in heaven and on earth takes its name. 16I pray that, according to the riches of his glory, he may grant that you may be strengthened in your inner being with power through his Spirit, 17and that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith, as you are being rooted and grounded in love. 18I pray that you may have the power to comprehend, with all the saints, what is the breadth and length and height and depth, 19and to know the love of Christ that surpasses knowledge, so that you may be filled with all the fullness of God.
20Now to him who by the power at work within us is able to accomplish abundantly far more than all we can ask or imagine, 21to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus to all generations, for ever and ever. Amen.
- Light a candle to remember Christ’s presence with you.
- Sit five to fifteen minutes in silent meditation paying close attention to the deep breath.
- As you breathe, allow your breath to reach all parts of your body, from head to toe, from finger to finger.
- Sit in a chair and get comfortable, let your feet engage the floor. Feel your feet connect with the floor.
- Imagine roots growing from your feet into the ground.
- Allow the roots to hold you there, to ground you, to sustain you.
- As you begin to feel nourishment from the roots, allow the roots to grow, giving you more stability.
- Begin to comprehend the breadth and length and height and depth of Christ’s love.
- Love that enfolds you from above, nourishes you from below.
- Consider the work that Christ has accomplished in you by the power of the Holy Spirit.
- How has this work grown you?
- What is God growing today?
- What is God’s message for you?
- Give thanks to God for this time in prayer and for any new insights you have received.
- Share as you feel led in the reply box below.
Revised Common Lectionary Readings for Sunday, July 29, 2018, the Seventeenth Sunday in Ordinary Time, Year B
2 Samuel 11:1-15
If you use these prayers in other groups, please give credit to author. (c) 2018 Permission to use in not-for-profit settings The Rev. Dr. Lil Smith, DASD